Like a Gym, Except a Kitchen, with Dan Mills of Tinker Kitchen
October 26th, 2019
50 mins 27 secs
About this Episode
Dan Mills turned his hobby of collecting commercial kitchen gadgets into Tinker Kitchen, a makerspace for community cooking. He joins us to talk about his inspiration for the space, why entrepreneurs need grit in the face of never-ending roadblocks, and how his very understanding girlfriend provided the (literal!) space he needed to succeed.
Links and Show Notes
- Maker culture
- CAD (Computer-aided Design)
- R&D (Research and Development)
- ROI (Return on Investment)
- Pared —Making restaurant life easier
- Liquid nitrogen
- Sous vide
- Molecular Gastronomy
- Stage —“An unpaid internship when a cook or chef works briefly, for free, in another chef's kitchen to learn and be exposed to new techniques and cuisines.”
- Chez Panisse
- Opportunity cost
- Tinker Kitchen Kickstarter project (funded, 2018)
- Microsoft Excel
- SBA—Small Business Association
- SBDC—America’s Small Business Development Centers
- SEO—Search Engine Optimization
- Processed Food Registration (PFR) —“Processors of general food commodities (e.g. baked goods, noodles, processed fresh vegetables, seafood, snack foods, dietary supplements, etc.) must obtain a Processed Food Registration (PFR) from FDB. A PFR certificate is a firm’s basic health permit. The PFR allows firms to manufacture products not specifically covered by another FDB license.”
- We talk more about the PFR in episode 7 with Guilianna Glassman of Alma Superfoods .
- Cataplana (Portuguese tomato chorizo stew) video recipe
- Laziness, Impatience, Hubris: The Three Virtues of a Programmer
- Takeru Kobayashi
- Episode 8, The Ice Cream Atmosphere, with Lori Phillips of Rocko’s Ice Cream Tacos where Lori answers our "take a bath in what food" Wrapid Fire question (@ 56:48).
Our thanks to Dan for joining us. You can find him at tinkerkitchen.org, and follow him on Twitter (@tinkerkitch) and Instagram (@tinkerkitch).
Thank you for listening. You can follow us on Twitter and Instagram:
- Lettuce Wrap: @lettucewrappod / @lettucewrappod
- Christine Doerr: @christinedoerr / @neococoaconfections
- Tammy Tan: @spicehound / @spicehound
or email us at email@example.com.
That’s a wrap!
Amazon and other links may be affiliates. Purchases help support the show.