Petri Dish Meats (T&C Talk)
September 28th, 2019
59 mins 55 secs
About this Episode
We discuss the state of “plant-based meat alternatives” then taste seven different burgers, beef and not-beef, to see if we like (or can even identify!) the plant-based ones from Impossible Food and Beyond Burger. These are definitely not your old-school alternatives like Boca Burger or Gardenburger. Do these lab-engineered foods actually taste like beef? Can a self-described carnivore and a non-beef eater find common ground in these patties, or will we be left asking “Where’s the beef?!”
We start off talking about the explosion in the public consciousness about “plant based meat alternatives”, driven in part by Burger King, Carl’s Jr., White Castle and other fast food places including them on their menu (and the generally positive reviews they’ve gotten). Then we dive into the healthiness of eating plant-based burgers compared to beef burgers, talk a bit about the general squickiness we feel about eating foods engineered in a lab, and briefly explore their environmental impact.
Then we get to eating! Producer Jason, a self-professed burger lover, joins us in the taste test, where poke, prod and closely examine each burger to figure out which is which, while debating the definition of “burger” and “meat”.
We wrap up this episode with a philosophical discussion on knowing vs. not knowing what we’re eating, if beef will always be our first choice, and whether the next generation will consider animal flesh to be the weird thing to eat.
Links and Show Notes
- What we tried:
- Meatless burgers vs. beef: How Beyond Meat’s environmental impact stacks up
- Great Veggie Burgers are Here, But Are They Any Healthier? - Men’s Journal
- Impossible Food
- Beyond Meat
- Carl’s Jr.
- Burger King
- Jack’s Prime Burgers & Shakes
- Highway 5
- Boca Burger
- San Francisco Zoo
- Red meat vs. White meat
- IPO (Initial Public Offering)
- BYND: Beyond Meats stock ticker
- Impossible Foods raises $300 million with investors eager for bite of meatless burgers
- JUST (scrambled “egg” made from plants)
- GMO (Genetically modified organism)—“any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques.”
- The Barn
- Dad’s Luncheonette
Our thanks to Producer Jason for joining us. You can find him on Twitter @jasonanthonyguy.
Thank you for listening. You can follow us on Twitter and Instagram:
- Lettuce Wrap: @lettucewrappod / @lettucewrappod
- Christine Doerr: @christinedoerr / @neococoaconfections
- Tammy Tan: @spicehound / @spicehound
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
That’s a wrap!
Amazon and other links may be affiliates. Purchases help support the show.