Cake Scraps and Hugs, with Kelly Zubal of Inticing Creations
October 12th, 2019
59 mins 5 secs
About this Episode
Kelly Zubal of Inticing Creations made a custom guitar birthday cake for Journey guitarist Neal Schon, and appeared on TV next to Martha Stewart. Now she’s here with us to talk about how she got started in her sculpted edible cakes career, her experiences as a “reality tv star”, and why her husband “Home Boy” Pete is her third favorite kitchen tool.
Kelly also tells us
- Why 4 years La Cocina was “the best bootcamp”
- How she “stumbled on” edible art as a business
- Why not eating her sculptures “breaks her heart”
- The origins of “Inticing Creations” as a name
- Why she “redefined what success meant” to her
- Why she did TV food shows, and why she doesn’t do more
- What is was like being on TV with Martha Stewart
- About lighting the fireworks on Neal Schon’s custom guitar birthday cake
- The food she’d take a bath in.
Links and Show Notes
- Metal Radio on Apple Music
- La Cocina —“a nonprofit working to solve problems of equity in business ownership for women, immigrants and people of color.”
- Cakes To Dream On: A Master Class in Decorating, by Colette Peters
- How to Make Fondant
- Kelly’s episode of Duff Till Dawn: Monster Mayem—“Duff Goldman, master of cake mayhem, challenges Kelly Zubal, queen of clean cakes, and former punk rocker Wiley Saccheri to bring their ultimate monster cakes to life. Will Kelly's partnership with her husband trump Wiley's collaboration with his mother-in-law? Can they make their cakes before the sun comes up or will their dream monsters turn to into cake nightmares? Guest judges Haylie Duff and Geof Manthorne will help Duff crown the team that delivers the boldest cake of the night.”
- Martha Stewart
- Martha Stewart Weddings
- Neal Schon, Journey
- News story about Neal Schon’s birthday, including photos of Kelly’s custom guitar cake
- Watch a fondant sheeter in action
- Craig’s List
Our thanks to Kelly for joining us. You can find her at inticingcreations.com and on Twitter @kellyzubal.
Thank you for listening. You can follow us on Twitter and Instagram:
- Lettuce Wrap: @lettucewrappod / @lettucewrappod
- Christine Doerr: @christinedoerr / @neococoaconfections
- Tammy Tan: @spicehound / @spicehound
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
That’s a wrap!
Amazon and other links may be affiliates. Purchases help support the show.