Stuart went from whiskey novice to Certified Bourbon Steward, turning a bad first impression with whisky into a passion he now shares with others in his at-home whiskey tasting and cooking classes. We taste our way through a personalized flight of four ryes, while learning more about whiskey (and whisky!) with Stuart as our guide.
Links and Show Notes
What we tasted
- Sagamore Spirit Signature (Maryland) Rye
- Resurgens Rye
- Venus Spirits Wayward Whiskey Rye
- Willett Family Estate Bottled 4 Year Rye (we tasted the 3 year)
Other whiskeys mentioned
- Talisker, Isle of Skye
- Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Maker’s 46
- The Macallan Sherry Oak 12 Whisky
- The Macallan Sherry Oak 18 Whisky
- Willett Pot Still Reserve (the I Dream of Jeannie-like Bourbon bottle)
- Stuart On The Coast – Food and Fun on the California Coast
- San Francisco Chocolate Salon – The Original and Premier Artisan Chocolate Show for the West Coast
- Toque Blanche (Santa Cruz) (the store in Half Moon Bay where Stuart worked is closed)
- NeoCocoa Black Sesame Seed Brittle
- Halva—“dense, sweet confections made in the Middle East, Central Asia and the Indian subcontinent. It is also served in the Caucasus, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, the Balkans, Eastern and Western Europe, Malta and in the Jewish diaspora.“
- “Show Me the MONEY!!!” - YouTube
- Ottolenghi cookbooks
- Vadouvan—French version of a masala. Make your own
- New Leaf Community Markets in Half Moon Bay, CA
- Certification Bourbon Steward, Stave and Thief Society
- Mash ingredients—More than you ever wanted to know about a mash bill.
- The Difference Between Sparkling Wine and Champagne—“All Champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is Champagne”
- Rickhouse (or Rackhouse)
- Understanding Whiskey Stills: Pots, Columns, Hybrids
- How a double-distillation pot still works: basics
- What Is Whisky?
- Casks (barrels, hogsheads, butts)
- Glencairn Whisky Glass
- Norlan Whisky Glass
- Peugeot Whisky Glass
- Ice Ball Mold (smaller)
- Ice Ball Mold (larger)
- Alcohol by volume - Wikipedia
- Whisky Advocate - America’s leading whisky magazine / Subscribe on Amazon
- I Dream of Jeannie—"an American fantasy sitcom starring Barbara Eden as a 2,000-year-old genie and Larry Hagman as an astronaut who becomes her master, with whom she falls in love and eventually marries.… [O]riginally aired from September 18, 1965 to May 26, 1970... the show ran for five seasons and produced 139 episodes."
Thank you for listening. You can follow us on Twitter:
or email us at email@example.com.
That’s a wrap!
Amazon and other links may be affiliate links. Purchases help support the show.